Bacalao A La Vizcaina recipe is easy to make with help of very simple ingredients. This Bacalao A La Vizcaina recipe gets its zest from spanish oil,salt cod. Here is one of my favorite quick and easy Bacalao A La Vizcaina recipe , best recipe of this kind and enjoy cooking.
Bacalao A La Vizcaina Recipe
Bacalao A La Vizcaina Recipe with a easy to make with help of very simple ingredients and one of and easy And Chowder Recipe,famous Bacalao A La Vizcaina recipe
Yield: 6 people
- 2 lb thick salt cod ,
- desalted and cooke; d , (see notes below),
- cut into 2- by 3-inch pieces Flour for dredging 1/2 cup pure Spanish olive oil
FOR THE SOFRITO: 1/4 cup pure Spanish olive oil 1 large green bell pepper,
- seeded and finely chopped 6 cloves garlic.
- finely chopped 2 large onions ,
- finely chopped 1 cup finely chopped drained pimientos
- 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika or mild paprika
- 1/4 cup dry white wine Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
COMPLETE THE DISH:
- 4 medium-size all-purpose potatoes ,
- peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 pimientos , cut into strips,
- for garnish Fried Bread Rounds (recipe follows),
- as an accompaniment
- Cut it into 2- by 3-inch pieces ,
- place in a bowl , and cover with cold water.
- Change the water several times until it is no longer salty.
- This process should take 24 hours. Drain the fish, place it in a small saucepan, cover with fresh water, and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Drain and cool the fish. 1. Dredge the cod in the flour. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until fragrant, then cook the fish until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the fish from the heat and set aside. For the sofrito, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil until fragrant, then cook the bell peppers, stirring, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and onions, and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more oil if necessary. Add the pimientos, tomatoes, paprika, and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place the reserved salt cod soaking water in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the potato slices until partially tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the codfish chunks to the sofrito and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Arrange the cooked potato slices on top of the fish, do not stir, cover the pan, and shake it several times.
- Cook over low heat an additional 10 minutes so that the potatoes absorb the fish flavor. Transfer to a large serving platter and garnish with the pimientos.